How to prepare Matcha Tea
Matcha is an incredibly versatile ingredient- you can make matcha tea, matcha lattes, bake with matcha and also use it in your skincare routine. There are many ways to make matcha from using traditional utensils like a bamboowhisk or with just your standard teaspoon.
Matcha tea is traditionally prepared using bamboo whisks (known as chasens) to give matcha its frothy, creamy texture.
The bamboo whisk is specially crafted to suspend the matcha particles in the water and it assists in delivering a much smoother matcha which does not have any sediment in the bottom.
Bamboo whisks are handcrafted and made from a single piece of bamboo. Bamboo matcha whisks are also durable when cared for properly.
How to make Matcha green tea traditional way
1. Preheat your matcha bowl by filling one-third of it with hot water. Dip the prongs of your matcha whisk in this hot water to soften them. Empty the bowl and dry with a clean cloth.
2. Sift and add 1/2 teaspoon of matcha into the bottom of the matcha bowl.
Note: You can sift this scoop of matcha into the bowl or you can simply use the end of the whisk to press down gently to break up the powder.
3. Add approximately 70 mls of hot water (80 degrees Celcius).
4. Hold the rim of the matcha bowl with one hand and the whisk with the other. Using your wrist whisk vigorously in “W” motion. You should see lots of bubbles on the surface & a thick froth.
How to make Matcha tea the modern way
1. Place 1/2 teaspoon of matcha into a cup and add a tablespoon of hot (not boiling) water.
2. Using electric milk frother mix thoroughly to remove any lumps of matcha.
3. Top up with more hot water for a hot drink or iced water and ice for an iced matcha tea.