This matcha chocolate mousse cake has a good balance between bitterness and sweetness. A flourless chocolate cake and topped with white chocolate and matcha mousse.
Makes about 8-10 servings
Flourless Chocolate Cake:
- 5 tbsp (70g) butter
- 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (8g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) of salt
- 10 oz (300g) white chocolate, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup (240g) whipping cream
- 14 oz (400g) whipping cream (35% fat), chilled, divided in two
- 1 tbsp (10g) gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cold water
- 2 tbsp (12g) matcha powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) hot water
- Prepare flourless chocolate cake. Grease and line a 8-inch (20 cm) spring-form pan (with a removable base) with parchment paper. Separate egg yolks from whites. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Melt chocolate and butter over a bain-marie until smooth. Let it cool slightly. Add yolks one at a time and stir well. Stir in cocoa powder and salt.
- Whip egg whites until foamy using a mixer. Gradually add sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped whites into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-22 minutes. Let it cool completely in the pan over a cooling rack.
- Prepare the two layers of mousse. In a heat proof bowl add the white chocolate and 1 cup (240g) whipping cream. Place the bowl over a saucepan with simmering water, over low heat until all the chocolate is melted. Meanwhile dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it swell for about 5 to 10 minutes. Place the gelatin over low heat just until the gelatin dissolves and pour it over the melted chocolate mixture. Divide the mixture in two.
- Dissolve matcha powder in hot water and add to half of white chocolate mixture. Let both chocolate mixtures cool completely at room temperature.
- Whip 7oz (200g) chilled whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add white melted chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour the white chocolate mousse over the flourless chocolate cake. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Whip the remaining 7 oz (200g) chilled whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add matcha chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour matcha mousse over the white chocolate mousse. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours to set or overnight.
- Before serving dust the top with matcha powder and decorate with white chocolate decorations if desired. Enjoy!
This recipe is made by Home Cooking Adventure
This recipe is a part of our "Top 10 Cake Recipes with Matcha" that can be downloaded here.